Monday, August 20, 2012

Welcoming Allie Noel Langstraat

Allie Noel Langstraat was born June 25, 2012 at 6:24 pm. She weighed 7 lbs 1 oz and was 20 inches long! She is our biggest baby so far! My due date was July 30th, but since I was having so many complications with my pregnancy and I had Group B Strep as well as a history or rapid labors, they decided to induce me. We got to the hospital at 8:30 that morning and by 9:30 they had started some antibiotics to fight the Group B Strep. I had to be on the antibiotics for at least 4 hours prior to delivery so we just watched movies while I was hooked up to an IV and continued to have contractions like I had been having for months. Finally at about 12:30 they started the pitocin at a really low dose. I wasn't progressing very fast so they bumped the pitocin up every once in awhile until I made steady progression. As things got further along I got an epidural because I'm a baby and was nervous about the pain. Finally around 6:15 my Dr. checked me and I was a 9! Meanwhile, Chad is sleeping on the couch when the Dr. announces it's "Go Time!"  I had no idea I was about to have the baby any minute.
   I immediately felt the need to start pushing after the Dr got dressed.  Chad was still waking up and was feeling a little weak from not eating anything all day.  After 1 push Allie's head was out.  I then noticed Chad leaning over me like he was going to kiss me but realized those were not "kissy" eyes.  His head fell down near mine, and thinking he had passed out I grabbed him by the neck and held onto him as I pushed one more tie and Allie came into the world.  As they handed Allie to me, I still had my arm around Chad's neck in fear that he was going to fall.  He assures me that he didn't pass out, but just put his head down because he thought he might black out due to not eating all day and having just gotten up too fast.  (Our stories differ here! :) )  Still feeling groggy, the nurses made Chad sit down and the Dr helped him cut the cord! 
  We were absolutely thrilled to finally have Allie in our arms.  (Well, in my arms.  They put the baby directly on the mom now for an hour to an hour and a half.  Chad had to wait this long to be able to hold her.  When we finally got up stairs and he had the chance to hold her we were also greeted by our girls and some friends!  We are thrilled with the new addition to our family!  Here is our first evening at the hospital together and some pictures from the following day!